Taking a family cruise has got to be one of our favorite trips to take. You can unpack one time, visit different places, eat, drink and sleep any time you want. What more could you want?
I know that I want some time for myself while I’m on a cruise with my family. It’s all fun and games for the kids, but it leaves me feeling quite exhausted! Thank goodness for the kids’ clubs that are on cruises. It gives my kids a chance to be with other kids and me a chance to either be alone with my husband, or just be alone.
Tips for relaxing on a family cruise:
- Put your feet up. Do you sit around eating bon-bons all day while watching Soap Operas while your kids are at school? Of course you don’t! But on a cruise you most certainly can! Let the staff take care of you for a change!
- Take a nap. I know this goes without saying, but from time to time I forget that taking a nap is an option. I’m so used to being on the go all day long! Pair that with my severe case of FOMO (fear of missing out) that taking a nap is the furthest from my mind. On cruises, however, we try and go to the room as a family and lay down in the dark and just rest. This, of course, leads to napping.
- Be alone. There is no rule that says that you need to be around your family 24/7 when you’re on a cruise! If you’re lucky enough to have a balcony room (which I HIGHLY recommend spending the extra cash when you bring your kids), just go sit on the balcony with the beverage of your choice while the kids watch TV or take showers. The calming sounds of the ocean and the breeze are enough to help you relax.
- Go to the “adults only” section of the ship. No, it’s not the space where everyone is topless! The “adults only” section has great comfy loungers where you don’t have to worry about kids screaming and causing havoc. Just enjoy the peace and quiet…. Aaaahhhh!
- Get a Massage. This tip is the most obvious. There is a spa on every ship. It can get a tad pricey, but if you go on the first day of the cruise, there are usually specials that aren’t that bad. I like to wait until my husband wins some extra cash in the casino and then I splurge on myself.
- Get your hair done. Come on, who doesn’t love having their hair washed & blown dry?! If a massage is out of your price range, then you can always go to the salon and have your hair done by a professional. I’ve seen many a lady with their hair in a fun up-swept ‘do on formal night.
Even if your kids don’t want to go to the kids’ club or you are tight on your vacation budget, there are plenty of ways to take time to relax while on a family cruise.
What are some ways you like to relax while cruising with your family?