Disclaimer: This post is part of the HEALTHY ESSENTIALS® 2014 program by Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Inc. and The Motherhood, who sent me a box of products and compensated me for my time. Opinions, experiences and photos shared here are all my own, and I hope you enjoy them.
The kids are back in school (or almost back in school) and you made sure that they have everything they need. Pencils, paper, backpacks, shoes…you’ve done it all. Now it’s time to make time for you.
Studies all over show that it’s important to take care of yourself in addition to your family. As an “exhausted mom,” I couldn’t agree more! Like the saying goes, “If mama’s not happy, ain’t NO ONE happy!”
Working and taking care of kids can really take a toll on my body and my appearance. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think “Did I really go out looking like this? Why didn’t anyone tell me?”
The past couple of weeks before school started have been a whirlwind of TO DO lists, shopping trips, whining kids, eating out, and just complete chaos. Now that our regular routine has come back, I feel a tiny bit of calm around me. I can work without interruption, pick up the mess around the house without a bigger mess following me around, and actually take a minute to take care of my personal appearance without my husband and kids complaining that I’m taking too long. Seriously? (I’ll just chalk it up to the fact that they are all male…)
Back to school in my house means back to the routine, back to homework, and back to me helping out in any way that I can in my kids’ classrooms. That means I have to actually look presentable.
Here are 7 ways I take time for myself in the midst of my crazy little world:
- Exercise. I’ve mentioned before that I belong to this “cult” called CrossFit. I’ve always hated working out, but now I have this kind of addiction to it. I actually get mad if I miss a day. That one hour of sweat, blood and tears is a great release! So no matter what you do to get physical, go do it!
- Make sure my face is fresh. Now that the kids are back in school, it’s an unavoidable fact that I will have parent/teacher conferences to deal with. That means my face should be presentable. I’ve always had great skin, but since I hit my upper 30’s, my face has had a few more breakouts than I would like. I don’t have time to get regular facials. Did I say time? I meant money…I don’t have the money for regular facials! I take care of my face while I’m in the shower. (Now I’m saving time AND money!) My new fav is
- Have a clean mouth. Again, something some might laugh at, but when my teeth feel “fuzzy” I don’t feel like myself. You know what I mean by “fuzzy”….that slimy, gritty feeling on your teeth when they are dirty. After brushing, I use LISTERINE® Whitening Restoring Rinse for a fresh mouth and white teeth.
- Put on lip gloss. I don’t wear make-up everyday, but to give myself a little extra “umph,” I put on lip gloss all the time. It keeps my lips soft and adds a bit of color to my face so I don’t look so exhausted all the time. When I was a member of Birchbox, I got this awesome lipgloss from POP Beauty Aqua Lacquer. The color is Flowering Fuchsia. Normally, I would think it’s too pink, but it was so sheer, it gave me the perfect “pop” of color!
- Keep my skin soft. Living in South Florida, my skin is always exposed. It’s so darn hot that it’s essential that I wear shorts, dresses, and tank tops. I like to keep my skin soft and moist (even with all the humidity, my skin gets dry from shaving & showering). My favorite is Lubriderm Daily Moisture Lotion. It keeps my skin soft and doesn’t leave me greasy.
- Get a Mani/Pedi. I’ve already explained that I am NOT someone who can do my own nails and toes. I’m a disaster at it! So every few weeks or so I treat myself to a fresh mani/pedi. I deserve it! Plus when my hands and feet look nice, I feel more like a woman.
- Take the time to read. I love to read! Finding the time is a different story. Thankfully, my kids are required to read for 30 minutes each night. I set the timer and sit next to them and read my own book for 30 minutes. Since I have to be there so early to get a place, I also love to listen to audio books when I’m in the school pick up line.
Here’s something to make your “you time” a little more special: the HEALTHY ESSENTIALS® program is offering amazing printable coupons, tips & tools and so much more for all the products you and your family love. You can get significant savings by visiting the HEALTHY ESSENTIALS website. As you prepare for back to school for the kids, don’t forget to pick up these HEALTHY ESSENTIALS® products to help you be healthy and happy for the ones you love.