Meet Marissa from Domestic Adventures of Mrs. V
Marissa is a teacher turned stay-at-home-mom/military housewife who loves to cook, craft, plan events, and dress to impress…all while sticking to a budget and chasing after an active toddler! Domestic Adventures of Mrs. V is a way to show others with her same interests or those who are in her same situation that you can “do it all” – or at least, do whatever it is that makes you happy in life while being a mom, wife and watching your finances.
The freezer breakfast idea came to me a few months ago when I found out that my husband was not eating breakfast before leaving for work. He gets up quite early in the day to go to morning PT (Personal Training) then heads off to a full day of work. I am a huge believer in breakfast- it really is the best way to start your day and I was very disappointed to find out that he was skipping this meal. He is going to exercise and then endure a full day at work on an empty stomach- not ok!
I decided to make some breakfast items for him to heat up and take with him to give him energy to power through his day. He works hard for us, so I figured he deserved to be sent to work with a full belly! The easiest way for me to accomplish this, I found, is to make a big batch of an item, freeze it, and then heat it up as he/we need it (yes, sometimes I eat the freezer breakfasts too- especially if I am “on the go”), thus the freezer breakfasts were born!
Each Sunday I get out everything I need and get to work on making my freezer breakfast creations. Usually they yield about 10 meals, which translates to about 2 work week’s worth of meals.
This week, I made “Fiesta Breakfast Bowls” and good old-fashioned breakfast sandwiches. These are not only full of protein and quite filling, but they are pretty darn healthy too! Did I mention they are very budget friendly as well- so much cheaper than stopping to buy breakfast every morning at a drive-thru window!
Here are the recipes:
Tip Before You Begin:
If you combine all the eggs and scramble them together you will save yourself time, just spread them out on the sandwiches and in to bowls evenly. Likewise with the sausage and bacon.
- 3 Russet Potatoes
- 1 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1 Cup Bell Pepper Mix (can be found in the freezer section)
- 2 Cups Cooked and Ground Breakfast Sausage
- 2 Cups Cooked and Chopped Bacon (I use Turkey Bacon, it is a little healthier and less greasy when you reheat)
- 1-2 cups Shredded Cheese (whatever kind you like, I use cheddar)
- 4 Scrambled Eggs
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Cube your potatoes, making sure that you are cutting them uniformly (The smaller you cut them the quicker they will cook- I usually do ½ inch cubes).
- Cook chopped onions in the skillet until translucent, and then add in potatoes.
- When potatoes have cooked about half way through add in your bell peppers.
- Let all this cook together for another 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft, but not mushy. Take out and let cool.
- Now it is time to build your bowl!
- Step 1: Layer your potatoes in Tupperware
- Step 2: Top that layer with some scrambled eggs
- Step 3: Top the eggs with salsa
- Step 4: Finish off with bacon, sausage, and then cheese
- Put some saran wrap over the top before you cover with lid, to prevent freezer burn. When you are ready to eat, keep the plastic on and heat in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- 1 Package of 6 English Muffins (I use whole wheat)
- 6 Slices of Cheese (I use cheddar)
- 6 Cooked Breakfast Sausage Patties)
- 6 Sliced Cooked Bacon (I use Turkey Bacon for this too)
- 4 Scrambled Eggs
- You will also need Saran Wrap, Tupperware that is freezer and microwave safe, and a large gallon size ziplock bag.
- These are even easier to make!
- Simply cut your English Muffins in half and lay them all out.
- I like to put the cheese slices on one side and the proteins on the other- I put the sausage patty down first, then the slice of bacon (cut in half), then some scrambled eggs on top.
- Put the two muffin ends with all their goodness together, and tightly wrap in saran wrap.
- Place all wrapped sandwiches in ziplock bag to prevent freezer burn.
- When you are ready to heat these up, unwrap them from the plastic and rewrap them in a paper towel (this prevents the sandwich from getting soggy). Heat in microwave for 2 minutes and enjoy!
Do you want to guest post for Pay it Forward Friday? Message me, I’d love to have you!
Leave a Reply