Ah, The Florida Keys!! A destination of vacation and relaxation for so many! I’m actually lucky enough to live within a stone’s throw of this popular retreat. For as many times as I’ve been to the Florida Keys, I’ve never been in the same style as a recent trip I took. Ready?
Let me tell you, riding to the Keys in a convertible is an experience you don’t want to miss. Of course, check with the weather forecast first! Partner the top down with the handle and speed…as my dad would say, “Forgedaboudit!” And the SS Sports Sedan is nothing to sneeze at! It looks like a “family” car from the outside, but on the inside it’s a luxury sports car! WOWZA!
As my travel buddy, Florida Keys Girl, and I traveled down the Overseas Highway towards Key Largo, we stopped at well-known Harriette’s Restaurant located at mile marker 97 on Overseas Highway. Of all the times that I’ve driven to the Keys (and I’m talking millions), I’ve NEVER stopped at Harriette’s. I had NO IDEA what I was missing! Their muffins are legendary. The Key Lime muffin is top notch and don’t even get me started on the coconut muffin….I thought I was going to go into a diabetic shock! So YUMMY! I didn’t eat anything else, but passing by the tables of guests, I will definitely have to go back for some real food.
Have you ever met Betsy the Giant Florida Keys Lobster? If you’ve ever been to Keys, then you know who I’m talking about. Standing 30-feet tall and stretching 40-feet from head to tail, Betsy has been greeting visitors to the Florida Keys since the 1980s. The 12-legged crustacean sits in front of the Rain Barrel Artisan Village at Mile Marker 86.7 in Islamorada. It’s the perfect photo-op for families traveling south to the lower Keys and a great billboard for the artists who sell their works at the Rain Barrel. If you’re traveling south, look for Betsy on the right side of US 1.
Our last stop on our Keys tour was Hawk’s Cay Resort on Duck Key. This small secluded island is half-way down the Florida Keys. This first class resort has plenty of experiences you don’t want to miss. From dolphin encounters to deep sea fishing to tennis, Hawk’s Cay has it all. The scenery is out of this world! And don’t even get me started on the DELICIOUS food!!!!! If you are planning a vacation in the Keys, I HIGHLY recommend Hawk’s Cay. (Now to convince my husband that we need to take a 2nd honeymoon!)
Some more about the Chevy performance vehicles that we drove: (I’ll pretend like I know what it means)
- Can go from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds!! (That will really help on those days when I’m late for school! Just kidding…maybe!)
- It has a V8 engine. (Not sure what that means except that it helps it go fast.)
- It packs 415 Horsepower. (Seriously don’t know what that means…)
- Let me just say, it drives like a luxury sedan, with the pick up of a sports car! Barely tapped the gas & we were flying!
- This beauty can go from 0 to 60 in 3.8 seconds! WOW, just WOW!
- Also has a V8 engine, with 460 Horsepower. (Did you really ever doubt that this baby was fast? Prince didn’t make a song about it for nothing!)
- Although this isn’t a “family” car since it only seats two, but it’s a HOT date night car!!
**Disclaimer: I was asked to participate in the Chevy Performance drive to the Florida Keys. I was provided the SS and Corvette to drive for the day as I stopped at local spots in the Florida Keys. All opinions (as always) are my own.**